10.17.2009

Rise and shout, the Cougars are out . . .

I hate confessions. Last year I was a die hard University of Utah fan, and we beat BYU and then went on to beat Alabama in an undefeated season. It was glorious. I swore I would never turn my back on the crimson tide.

Ahem. Well, Kirk is a BYU fan, so to keep the peace I've started cheering for BYU. We even have BYU shirts we wear on gamedays. If some of my Salt Lake friends knew of my betrayal, they would cut me off and never look back. My only redemption is knowing that on the day Utah plays BYU this year, I will be wearing red and laughing at Kirk's dismay when we beat them again, this time on their own field (this is big talk, I know. But if nothing else, I can lay down the trash talk). But until that day, I'm in BYU blue. Here is a glimpse of the true blue cougar fan.
Yes, that is vintage BYU attire, people. It's probably as old as I am. Someday you'll be flipping through the tv channels and see Kirk and me on the Antiques Roadshow with this jacket, and we'll find out it's priceless.

Here's our update: Kirk is excited for November because HP is revamping their inside sales force. The changes will be very conducive to Kirk's personality. He's super busy with his calling as ward mission leader, but has some great ideas to help get the members excited about doing missionary work. As for me, school is going well and keeping me very busy. I did a clinical shift in the critical care and learned so much in just that one shift. One patient was very near death and the nurse I shadowed talked with the family about the patient's wishes for end-of-life care, and helped them come to the decision to take her off life-support. Then the nurse offered to pray with the family. It was a very special experience for the family, and seemed to comfort them. It reminded me of the blessing it is to have a testimony of the gospel, to know what happens after we die, and that families can be together forever. It was a somber but sweet experience.

To end on a lighter note, I have another confession to make. Sid, this one is for you. I have started running! During high school I would "cheat" a little on my track workouts because I only competed in the jumping events, and wanted to work more on technique than endurance. Plus, I hated feeling my lungs burn and my legs ache. But now I kind of enjoy it. Further proof that miracles do happen.

6 comments:

  1. hahaha, that one made me laugh! I really am so proud of you! You're going to be one in shape hot mama! ha I haven't ran in like a month and I'm dying to! I just can't find the time with little miss pres and school. Good for you! crazy about that nursing experience, I really am grateful that people like you can do that job. Too much pressure for me. I bet that was an amazing learning experience. And I love that you two have jerseys! ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed with the devotion to your husband (wearing BYU attire and all). My husband would love that. Also, I competed in the running events and STILL cheated sometimes on the workout haha. That's good you're getting some cardio. I have major issues with running any distance over 200 meters; I just don't like it! I think I need to follow your example and get my butt in shape! Your clinical sounds emotionally draining. LIke Sid said, I'm glad you do it, because I couldn't handle it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so good to get an update on you guys!!
    I don't take sides when it comes to sports, because I really have no interest in them. But way to be a supportive wife! I hope he takes his turn wearing red when it's appropriate. = )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the "throw back" jacket. It rocks. Congrats on joining the Cougar cheering section but we won't cut you out of the family if you still want to route for the U. We're an equal opportunity family. Glad to see you're both happy and doing well. Love you, Aunt Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. My hands typed faster than my brain. I meant "root" not route.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hhahaah..I am laughing so hard. Congrats on the switchover. I on the other hand have made the opposite switch. My husband coaxed me in to being a U fan. SEe ya at the big game :) Hope work is going great!

    ReplyDelete